Do you have a Condo dispute with the owner? You can simply reach out to The Condominium Authority of Ontario (CAO). The CAO is a newly established organization that aims to improve condominium living by providing services and resources for condo owners. These include:
- easy-to-use information to help owners and residents understand their rights and responsibilities
- mandatory training for condo directors
- resources to help condo owners and residents resolve common issues
- an online dispute resolution service through the Condominium Authority Tribunal (CAT coming November 1st, 2017) . As of November 1, 2017, the Condominium Authority of Ontario has launched a new dispute resolution service for condo owners and residents.
The Condominium Authority Tribunal (CAT) dispute resolution process has five main steps:
- Filing a case: Provide detail on who is involved and what the case is about.
- Joining a case: The other User will join the case. Once they join, both parties automatically move to the negotiation stage.
- Negotiation: Users try to resolve case between themselves.
- Mediation: CAT Mediator joins case to assist in resolving.
- Tribunal Decision: CAT Member joins case and makes a binding decision.
For more details on the Condominium Authority Tribunal and the new dispute resolution process, please visit their website at www.condoauthorityontario.ca.